Tears of A Bleeding Heart – Season II Episode 8

Derek had walked in on their conversation. His mother quickly attempted to change the subject. “Derek, Rita and I were just wondering...

Derek had walked in on their conversation.
His mother quickly attempted to change the subject.
“Derek, Rita and I were just wondering who could be behind the food poisoning.” Mrs Bernard said.
Even though Derek wasn’t very sure what he heard, he knew his mom was lying.
“I will be in my room” Derek said and left them.
Mrs Bernard and Rita didn’t trust Derek. They needed to be sure that he did not suspect anything.
“Do you think he heard everything?  Rita asked.
“I can’t be too sure sure about that” answered Mrs Bernard
Rita blamed her “You should have made us meet someplace other than your house… Now, look what’s happening.” She said
“I thought he had gone out.  But don’t worry,  leave it to me. He is my son, I know how to deal with him” Mrs Bernard assured her.
“You better take care of it” Rita said.
“That reminds me…  We need to be very careful with that Obed guy, I know he’s watching us from a distance.” Mrs Bernard said.
“Who is he, really?  The man is very weird, I  have never felt comfortable around him.” Rita said.
“I will try and find out where he lives when Mansa comes.” Mrs Bernard replied.
Just then, there was a knock at the door.  It was one of the church’s elders. 
The ladies had to reschedule their meeting. Rita quickly departed leaving Mrs Bernard with the church elder.
Mrs Bernard was not pleased with the Elder’s visit.
She knew it had to do with the church’s money.
She welcomed him nicely and made him feel comfortable. Then she subtly enquired about his mission.
“Well my mission is simple, yet needs to be addressed. Over the last couple of months, we have noticed that there has been huge withdrawals from the church’s account.
Per our records, those withdrawals were made by you without consultation with the financial secretary. Mrs Bernard, we need to discuss this issue before it comes to the notice of the board.” said the Elder.
“Elder, so this is why you came all the way here. You could have just called me rather than go through all the trouble. Anyway, it’s good that you’ve prompted me though. You see, before my husband died, may his soul rest in peace, there was this church project he was building that he kept away from you. He intended to surprise the congregation at the church’s forthcoming 40th anniversary. As his wife,  I need to continue what he couldn’t finish.  Those withdrawals were made to support that project Elder.” Mrs Bernard attempted to explain herself
“But madam, such things should be done at your own expense. As far as I am concerned, the church has finished undertaking all of its developmental projects” The elder responded.
“Elder, I just told you it was meat as a surprise. At the right time, you will know what I’m talking about. Would you please excuse me” Mrs Bernard said and went into her room.
After a while she came back with a white envelope containing money. 
“Elder, I really appreciate your efforts and concern about this issue. Not all men can be this gracious. Kindly take this as a token from me” Mrs Bernard said stretching out the money to him.
“Mrs. Bernard I’m afraid i can’t take this,  the board needs to come in on this matter.” The Elder insisted.
“Of course the board will know.  Who said anything about keeping it a secret? This is just not the right time to involve them.  You can’t reject N100,000 from me. Just use for your transportation and upkeep. I’m very much aware you need it ” said Mrs Bernard.
The Elder took the money and said
“Thank you. I will see what I can do to keep this away from the board for now. I must take my leave ”
He shook hands with Mrs Bernard and went away. She knew she had succeeded in shutting him up.

Mansa and Mrs Lokko were still catching up.
Mansa was struggling to come to terms with the revelation that Rev. Bernard was actually her biological father.
“But mum, why didn’t he tell me all this when he adopted me?” Mansa asked.
“You still don’t get it my daughter, he was protecting you from his wife, Mansa.  You really  don’t know what she is capable of.” Mrs Lokko said.
“It’s a lot to take in…  It all feels like a dream. You’re actually my mother and I have been under my Father’s care all this while without knowing it” Mansa said.  She couldn’t control the tears in her eyes.  She was now beginning to accept the reality.
“Mansa, I thought Obed was with you, where is he? Mrs Lokko asked.
” I thought I was meeting him here myself” Mansa answered. 
Mrs Lokko sighed and said “Obed has revealed many things to me in the last few months. Mansa, there is more to your father’s death than you already know.”
“What is it that I don’t  know mother? Tell Me” Mansa desperately asked.
“Who is Rita? Mrs Lokko asked.
To be continued…

2 comments

  1. Nawaoh! When a man is at peace with God eveb his enemies won't have option...though I walk through the valley of shadow of death,I shall no evil for thou...

    ReplyDelete